Short Stories

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Back from SF

Just return to Japan last night and went straight to work while recovering from a major jet-lag.

When I went home to visit my parents, I never recovered or adjusted to California time. It’s harder to adjust to Pacific Coast Time from Japan Standard Time. Why? For example, when I left Japan the day was September 22nd. My flight was 5pm and I just finished work. The flight is 10 hours long and when I arrived to San Francisco, the time was 11am September 22nd. To make this whole story short, I had an extra day. September 22nd is actually my birthday so I wound up celebrating it twice. At least I didn’t age twice.

The 1st thing I did when I visited the Bay Area, I invaded all junk food restaurant such as (Burger King, Pizza, etc.) I am pretty sure I gained some weight since Americans not only eat junk food, but they eat it in massive volume. No wonder I see female population weighing just as much or ever more than myself. I consider myself as BIG and FAT in Japan, but once I walk on American soil, I seem to be either smaller or the same size as Americans.

The 2nd thing I did in America was to watch all the new release movies. Watching movies in Japan is not only expensive, but released 2-6 months after America. I was pretty disappointed with “The 40-Year Old Virgin” and “The Corpses Bride”. At the same time, I was pretty impressed with the movie, “Into the Blue” and “Just Like Heaven”. I remember all the hype of “The Corpses Bride” but I wasn’t all that impressed. I fell asleep for the 1st 30 minutes. “The 40-Year Old Virgin” started out very funny, but the ending was getting a little mushy.

The 3rd thing I did was to watch my 1st SF Giants game at SBC Park. I moved to Japan before SBC Park was completed so I never had an opportunity to watch a Giants game at the new ballpark. Finally, I got to watch my 1st Giants game, but unfortunately Barry Bonds re-injured his knee so I could see him make a splashdown. My father got to see 2 of Barry’s homers in the Bay and I still have no yet to see one. I saw Barry hit one out at Candlestick, but it’s not nearly as exciting as hitting one out to the sea.

During my last day, my parents wanted me to stay longer. I am acting a bit weird lately. I got to talk to my friend who is in a similar type of work, he says it’s hard to hang out with friends who work on normal working days (Mondays-Fridays), because we are both have odd working days. I guess I should talk about that later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home